Search Galleries LocalEyes News & Events Get Involved About

Lights, Camera, Brandon! Films of the Brandon Estate Cineclub

The Brandon Estate was built in 1958 to rehouse residents of condemned housing in Bermondsey, who all moved to the estate en masse. This selection of six titles shows some of the highlights of the twenty or so films made by the Brandon Estate Cine Club in the sixties and seventies documenting community events; others include Christmas parties, day trips to Canvey Island, sports days and fetes. Unseen for decades, the films have been preserved by Southwark’s Local History Library and Archives and, following digitisation by London’s Screen Archives, were recently screened in the estate on which they were shot to current residents, some of whom found their younger selves on screen. Publicity from the screening helped locate the filmmakers, who have now been identified as Dickie Morgan and Brian Waterman, who joined the estate cine club aged 17 and bought a camera with his first paypacket from his job on London Underground.

Home Movie Day 2017Screen Heritage Conference 2017

London’s Screen Archives
Film London
The Arts Building
Morris Place
London N4 3JG

0207 613 7674

screenheritage@filmlondon.org.uk

Registered charity number 1163968