Latymer Foundation at Edmonton Archive
The collection consists of a variety of school activities and events, such as Drama, Wartime evacuation and Sport. There is also the visit of the Queen Mother to open the school’s ‘new’ extensions in 1966.
Latymer, like most schools that predate the rise of state funded education, owes its origins to the foresight and generosity of a series of individuals who held the view that wealth brought with it obligations to help those who were less fortunate than themselves.
The Latymer Foundation has a long history of giving since the original bequest of Edward Latymer in 1624 to provide “eight poore boies” from Edmonton yearly on November 1st with a doublet, a pair of breeches, a shirt, a pair of woollen stockings and shoes. In return for being educated to the age of thirteen at a "petty school" the boys had to wear the red Latymer cross on their sleeves. The trustees are under a duty to carry out the provisions of his will "unto the end of the world."
In 1662 John Wild of Edmonton made a further bequest including £4 per annum for the maintenance of a schoolmaster and a similar sum to maintain a poor scholar at Cambridge. This was followed in 1679 with a bequest by Thomas Style of Edmonton of £20 per annum for teaching " twenty poor boys ... Grammar and Latin tongue."
For more than a century there were no further bequests until in 1811, Ann Wyatt, a widow of Hackney, left £500 5% Navy Annuities to build a new school and £100 in the same securities for its maintenance.
The Latymer Foundation Archive Assistant
The Latymer School Edmonton
London N9 9TN