A film recording the installation of new bathrooms to residences on the St. Helier Estate by London County Council in the July of 1968.
A film recording the installation of new bathrooms to residences on the St. Helier Estate by London County Council in the July of 1968. The estate was built in the 1930s without bathrooms. Prefabricated units are lifted by crane from the back of a lorry and placed down in the back gardens of a row of houses. Workmen guide the units down into position at the rear of the existing homes.
The St Helier estate was named after Lady St. Helier, an Alderman of the L.C.C. from 1910 to 1927 who had fought for the improvement of housing facilities in London. It was the largest of the L.C.C. (London County Council) estates south of the Thames, and the second largest overall.This film is part of the following galleries:
United Kingdom; England; London; Sutton
|Archive name||Format||LSA ID||Archive's identifier||Sound|
|Sutton Archives||Super 8mm film||LSA1233||LBS11||Unknown|
|Sutton Archives||AVI master digital file||LSA1233||LBS11||Unknown|
|Sutton Archives||DV mezzanine digital file||LSA1233||LBS11||Unknown|